Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Work That Skirt!


For maximum effect, this post should be read while listening to the B-52’s song of the same name

In fashion, like most things in life, rules are made to broken. Like I used to say I’d never wear polyester. That was before I began collecting vintage Huk-A-Poo shirts (my favorite is an unfortunate shade of brown with a dog breed motif) and way, way before I made my best ebay score EVER—Lily Pulitzer pants in a print featuring Siamese cats drinking martinis with blue olives! They have an elastic waistband AND pleats down the front, but still remain one of my most prized possessions.

On the tail of that inspired success I bid on and won the lil’ number you see here. I thought it might be possible to mitigate the Holly Hobbie factor with black harness boots and a black turtleneck. But something’s stopped me…I’ve yet to wear it…and it’s been sitting in my closet for at least 3 years. What do y’all think? It’s ok if you don’t think I can pull it off—maybe that’s actually a compliment. Just tell me the truth.

P.S. Actually, the kitty featured in this skirt reminds me of my friend Elyse’s iconic Evil Dead meatloaf. Tell me you can’t see the similarity!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, my first plug! But I was gonna comment anyway.
    First of all, do you think that's supposed to look like a treble clef in that ball of yarn?

    Second--yes!The nose is what makes that Evil Dead meatloaf connection!

    Third--I'm on the fence on whether you can pull off wearing it. I think the length is throwing me off and it looks like an apron. What if you shortened it? Then I'd say you'd rock it! You certainly work at a place where it would be appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Sell it on Ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pune, I have a book on Aprons! I think it's headed your way. While I do know the martini slacks - and you look great in them - Lily Pulitzer is, well, pretty passe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pune, this skirt screams SPT presentation at the A. I used to have one just like it in bright green with a giant tulip. I mourned the day I spilled red wine all over it and finally had to return it to the Salvation Army where it was no doubt rehomed by someone with even less fashion standards than I have. But I digress.. the skirt gets my vote! P.S. It's Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete