Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Songs I Love in 88 Words or Less: "Don't Stop"



"Don't Stop," Fleetwood Mac with the USC Marching Band


Say you’re a sound. Are you a fizz, a plop? A stop then a pop?

As for me, I’m honk-y. Born of horns that, in spite of their ability to go low and dark, ultimately want to bust out and fly skyward, taking everyone else along for the ride. If you know me, you know I’m a clapper. I spent most of my first half-marathon cheering on fellow Team ASPCA runners (yeah, that’s a little weird; screaming /shouting takes up a lot of energy, and most people would wisely save it for their own performances), and long ago I implemented the now-traditional practice in our dance class of applauding those who bust a move.

Pretty corny, for sure. But when the USC Marching Band brass section starts talking on this already way goopy song, it’s total magic. They sound so familial, like my sonic tribe has come to kick me in my sorry ass. They’re so freaking positive and encouraging, writing notes in bluebird-colored ink that they toss wildly yonder, all of them reading the same thing—“You can do it!”


My favorite horn moment on any song I’ve ever heard comes at 2:01-2:06.

No comments:

Post a Comment